Skip to main content

REAL FOOD


I've been reading a book called Real Food: What to eat and why and it's really got me thinking about the foods that I eat. As a mom and someone who is struggling with health problems, I have been feeling motivated to eat better. This book has changed my perspective on what is healthy and I'm just so excited about it I want to share it with you all. The premise of the book is about going back to our roots, to traditional, non-processed, fresh food from the earth, the way God sends it to us. You may be shocked by what is presented in this book as healthy for you, and you may or may not agree. But it feels so right to me, that the healthiest food is the least changed from the way God made it. I thought I would write some summaries of what I'm reading for your benefit. And if you are enticed enough, maybe you'll pick it up.

Milk
We've all been taught that the best milk is the lowfat milk. Sure, fat makes it taste better, but the less fat you can withstand the better. Fat is bad. It clogs your arteries, increases your risk for heart disease, and makes you fat. Right? Wrong. According to Real Food, milk fat is good for you. But not the kind of fat found in regular store bought milk. The best milk is raw milk. Here's why.

Properties in raw milk. 1) Raw milk contains folic acid, vitamins A, B6 & C. These vitamins are heat sensitive and destroyed when pasteurized. By law, all store milk is pasteurized. 2) Raw milk contains important heat-sensitive enzymes: phosphatase to help your body absorb calcium and lactase to help digest lactose in milk. 3) Raw milk contains beneficial bacteria that aids in digestion, boost immunity (yes help you not get sick) and eliminate dangerous bacteria. 4) Raw Cream (made from raw milk) contains a cortisone-like (anti-inflammatory) agent which combats arthritis, arteriosclerosis and cataracts. 5) Raw butter contains myristoleic acid, which fights pancreatic cancer and arthritis.
ALL THESE GOOD THINGS ARE DESTROYED BY PASTEURIZATION.

Pastuerization. Pasteurization (heating milk to high temperatures to kill pathogens) was put in place in the early 1900s to combat outbreaks of disease like tuberculosis, which originated from poor-quality milk. The problem was...as mass milk production was born, dairy farmers found it cheapest to raise milk cows next to whiskey distilleries so they could feed the cows cheap distillery slop. The hygiene of the distillery dairies was very poor, cows were malnourished, and the milk they produced had so little cream (a sign of poor milk quality) that it could not even be made into butter or cheese. Additionally, the distillery slop was too acidic for the cow's belly which created a breeding ground for cow disease (bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis). Pasteurization was invented to sterilize the milk in hopes of halting fatal outbreaks but still allowing the continued sale of milk. The law of pasteurization continues today. The problem with it? Heat kills good stuff in milk.

If you're still interested in reading, tune in again. I'll add more as I read.......

Comments

Camber said…
Amber! I think that this is great! This is the way we've been eating for about 5 years now. I've got a LIST of great books that I'd recommend to you if you'd like. I am just now creating a blog that will launch soon, because people are always asking me what we eat, why we eat or don't eat certain things, the household products I use, lotions, shampoos, makeup, detergents, etc. I'll keep you posted if you'd like! Way to go! It's a fun world to enter!!
Camber
Sherie said…
Amen, Amen, Amen.

Popular posts from this blog

Just a little weekend get-a-way...

in P U E R T O R I C O !!! So Rick (along with his other teammates) received a reward trip from work to vacation in Puerto Rico for 4 days! Since I constitute his other half I got to cash in on the reward. So we spent a 4-day weekend get-a-way at a huge resort on the coast of Puerto Rico without the kiddos (thanks mom for flying in to care for them while we were away:). It was fantastic! We stayed at El Conquistador Resort , which was situated on a sloping hill facing the beautiful Caribbean ocean. Our room was right there in the middle (2nd floor) and our balcony opened up to a view of the blue blue sea. That little island you see out there in the distance is Palomino Island . That's where the beach was located and we had to ride the ferry out there to play in the sand and get some sun (unless we wanted to lounge around the pool, but I'm more for the authentic beach feel). Approaching Palomino Island on the ferry. Cute ain't it? We took the El Yunque Rain Forest tou...

I'm Tired

This is the theme of today. (And this picture describes perfectly how I feel.) Not only is Sawyer still waking up ever couple hours in the night, but Chase had the stomach flu last night and was throwing up big time. I know I got up with him at least 3 separate times when he had to puke. I know what you're thinking, where is Rick? Well, he hurt his back a few days ago and hasn't been able to get around very well, let alone bend over a puking child, so he wasn't able to help. I seriously felt like I was going between nursing baby and puking child all night long. And then Rick wakes up at 5:30 to get ready for school just after I got the baby to sleep and wakes him up! Ahhh! I didn't know whether to scream or just start crying. So he takes Sawyer upstairs and puts him in the swing (which always puts him out) and then Chase comes and crawls in bed with me and then Amelie wakes up because she can hear movement in the house and is upset that Chase isn't in his be...

Chase said the funniest thing...

Chase just said the funniest thing, so I had to write it down somewhere. He's watching an old Looney Tunes DVD that we checked out from the library. You know, the classic Bugs Bunny, and Tweety Bird and stuff. Anyway, there's a part on there where this bad guy is trying to kill Bugs Bunny and he keeps saying "shut up". Rick and I picked up on this and looked at each other, not sure whether to turn it off or let it go. So Rick decides to do the following. He says, "Hey Chase, I don't like this movie. They're saying bad things. How about we watch a different one. Like Transformers (the cartoon version)." Chase's response: "Daddy, how about you go work in your car if you don't like this movie so I can stay in here and watch it." Hahahaha! I'm cracking up. Rick and I looked at each other and figured that was a pretty good answer.