Skip to main content

Amelie's eye

The latest on Amelie's eye.

At her last eye appt a few months ago the doctor said (once again) her eye was not showing improvement with the patching.  She directed us to faithfully patch 2-4 hours every day (again), but this time stressed that consistency is the key.  She talked with Amelie about the importance of patching EVERY day and not complaining to her mom about it or forgetting.  So we left a bit disappointed but redetermined to do this dang thing EVERY day and get this over with.  It's been hard for her, she's tired of it, doesn't want to do it any more, finds excuses to put it off in hopes that I'll forget.  Needless to say it's been hard for me too.  It's one more thing I have to fight with her about, on top of her clothes, and her hair, and other things.  Well, we did a VERY good job patching consistently almost 4 hours every day, I was very proud of her.  We returned to her follow-up appt last Tuesday hopeful to hear better news.

Unfortunately, her eye exam showed that there is still not enough improvement in her right eye sight and the patching has to continue.  Big bummer.  Fortunately this was a NEW ophthalmologist and she directed us to try something new, go full swing by patching EVERY day ALL day for 5 weeks.  Bigger bummer.  The good news is that I was getting fed up with the last doctor because she never gave us anything new to try.  How is doing the same thing again and again going to change our results?  I even asked her about patching longer each day and she said it wasn't a good idea.  What did she know?  So I'm happy we have a new doctor and she does think that this intense patching will work.  So even though Amelie is not happy about having to patch all day, at least we have something different to try and hope that there might be a different outcome by our next visit.  Cross your fingers for her!  She is a trooper.

In case you want to know, here's some info on Amelie's condition.

Amblyopia. Poor vision in an eye that did not develop normal sight, sometimes called "lazy eye".

Causes.  There are different causes, but in Amelie's case the cause was twofold: Unequal focus and Strabismus (misaligned eyes).  Unequal focus means one of her eyes was more farsighted than the other.  So when her eye muscles were straining to see, the right was working harder and consequently overdid it by turning in.  That caused the Strabismus.  When the eyes are misaligned (crossed) they send two separate images to the brain.  The brain blocks the image from the crossed eye and uses the better eye to see, to avoid double vision.  The misaligned eye over time fails to develop good vision. 

Treatment.  If caught early, sometimes glasses is all it takes to correct the focus of the eyes.  If glasses alone don't improve vision, then the child must patch the strong eye to force use of the weak eye.  Surgery is a last resort.

If not treated.  The poor vision in the amblyopic eye may remain permanent.  Loss of depth perception. 

So "no", Amelie won't be blind in one eye if this doesn't get fixed, she will just always have really poor vision in that eye since the brain has been trained to block it.  This would affect her depth perception and require her to always wear glasses.  Also, we've learned that it's easier to treat when detected early, and it runs in families.  So we are going to have Sawyer's vision checked as well, just in case, and Estelle when she's a bit older.  Treatment is most successful until age 9.  You can retrain the brain better in children.  But adults with Strabismus often continue having double vision because the brain is already trained to receive images from both eyes and cannot ignore the image from the turned eye.  Isn't that interesting?  Little kids bodies are so adaptable, but adults are set in their ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just a little weekend get-a-way...

in P U E R T O R I C O !!! So Rick (along with his other teammates) received a reward trip from work to vacation in Puerto Rico for 4 days! Since I constitute his other half I got to cash in on the reward. So we spent a 4-day weekend get-a-way at a huge resort on the coast of Puerto Rico without the kiddos (thanks mom for flying in to care for them while we were away:). It was fantastic! We stayed at El Conquistador Resort , which was situated on a sloping hill facing the beautiful Caribbean ocean. Our room was right there in the middle (2nd floor) and our balcony opened up to a view of the blue blue sea. That little island you see out there in the distance is Palomino Island . That's where the beach was located and we had to ride the ferry out there to play in the sand and get some sun (unless we wanted to lounge around the pool, but I'm more for the authentic beach feel). Approaching Palomino Island on the ferry. Cute ain't it? We took the El Yunque Rain Forest tou...

I'm Tired

This is the theme of today. (And this picture describes perfectly how I feel.) Not only is Sawyer still waking up ever couple hours in the night, but Chase had the stomach flu last night and was throwing up big time. I know I got up with him at least 3 separate times when he had to puke. I know what you're thinking, where is Rick? Well, he hurt his back a few days ago and hasn't been able to get around very well, let alone bend over a puking child, so he wasn't able to help. I seriously felt like I was going between nursing baby and puking child all night long. And then Rick wakes up at 5:30 to get ready for school just after I got the baby to sleep and wakes him up! Ahhh! I didn't know whether to scream or just start crying. So he takes Sawyer upstairs and puts him in the swing (which always puts him out) and then Chase comes and crawls in bed with me and then Amelie wakes up because she can hear movement in the house and is upset that Chase isn't in his be...

Chase said the funniest thing...

Chase just said the funniest thing, so I had to write it down somewhere. He's watching an old Looney Tunes DVD that we checked out from the library. You know, the classic Bugs Bunny, and Tweety Bird and stuff. Anyway, there's a part on there where this bad guy is trying to kill Bugs Bunny and he keeps saying "shut up". Rick and I picked up on this and looked at each other, not sure whether to turn it off or let it go. So Rick decides to do the following. He says, "Hey Chase, I don't like this movie. They're saying bad things. How about we watch a different one. Like Transformers (the cartoon version)." Chase's response: "Daddy, how about you go work in your car if you don't like this movie so I can stay in here and watch it." Hahahaha! I'm cracking up. Rick and I looked at each other and figured that was a pretty good answer.