As with every new year we start thinking about resolutions, change, bettering ourselves, and the future we want to have. Self reflection is so great, unless it’s plagued with guilt. Guilt has its place for sure. A little guilt is impetus for change, but way too much guilt causes a roadblock to change.

I have noticed for me that my default is way too much guilt. Guilt holds me back from being my best self. It makes me feel depressed, discouraged, bad about myself, and doesn’t motivate me to take action in positive directions.
I also have a problem with desiring perfection. And those two things really hold me back. I find myself feeling guilty often because I’m never hitting perfection.
I’ve had enough of it. This year I am learning to accept myself for where I’m at. I’m learning to love myself for who I am now, and not just for who I want to be some day. I’m learning to love myself, even my mistakes, as they teach me and have a place in my life. No need to feel guilty about them. They are part of the plan. They teach me love, compassion, forgiveness, and humility. I’m learning to be curious about my mistakes and reflect on them, instead of allowing the emotion to take over when they happen.
I hope for many things in 2018. I have many goals I want to set. But I have learned from past experience that when I sent too many I don’t achieve any. So this year is my year to kick out guilt.
I still have two Christmas cards sitting on my kitchen counter that never went out. Oh well.
Happy new year!
Comments
Post a Comment